Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My First Day...

So I was able to get through my first day of classes with not issue. I did receive all paper syllabi, but other then that all went well.

I did convince one of my instructors to put her digital notes online so that we could access them if we were not able to get them all down in class which was a win.

Both my physics and math instructors were intrigued by the tablet that I was using. I think they are both wondering just what I plan to do with it. (kinda don't think they read the email that I sent out but no worries)

I am still getting used to only having one surface in front of me rather then five or six like I would have with paper. I am also contemplating if I should take my notes on a continuous document or have files saved by date. But the note taking process has been made much easier using the tablet. I am able to move back and forth between things add annotations and when I go back later I am able to make things smaller and add more content to the notes from class. It is nice. I suppose we will see just how successful it really has been at the end of the semester when I get my grades but I think that just with the first day under my belt that the tools that I have implemented this semester will give me a great edge.

I still need to invest in Adobe Acrobat 9 to my list of tools and actually pay for the SnagIt (I have been using the trial version).

I have not been able to have much interaction with my professors by asking questions and so on but I do already have homework so I am sure that that will come up soon. I know that I can send it to them just fine my only concern is how they will interact with the files that I send them. For instance... if I send a question about my homework showing them my work with an annotated not asking the question will they be able to answer in a way that will "work".

I am a bit worried that some of my instructors may not be on the same level of tech as I have assumed them to be on. Not to say that they don't know how to turn on the computer but that the programs that are common to me may not be common to them. While they are great at using math based programs and writing in a programing language I know how to access other tools that are more helpful in communicating with others via the internet.

I am in a bit of a tech bubble... and what I think everyone knows, not everybody knows. This is my biggest concern right now.

The overall feel from instructors has been positive. I don't think that I will get much of a negative response but I know for sure that I will have to be taking paper quizzes in my classes. :(

I don't really know how paperless I can go, other then turning in HW digitally and taking notes digitally, if my instructors are not also paperless. The limitations of a student.

As for my digital Calc book. There are still some frustrations going on but as they come I find solutions. I think that it is just a matter of getting used to it. The book seems to be working well. I preloaded the book before class so that I wouldn't have any issue and I think that that will be the best root as far as class prep. I will also need to work out the little kinks (i.e. viewing the font, finding the correct way to navigate through the book, and utalize the tools from the company that I got the ebook from). I am not concerned and I am sure that they will become second nature to me by the end of this week or the next.

I will have more on my ebooks next post ( I forgot to post this one until just now :( )

I should be posting a new post for this week tomorrow or the next day

No comments:

Post a Comment